It is not known when she came to live in New Zealand. Lucy was confirmed at St. Patrick’s Church, Kilbirnie, on 18 November, 1917, by Archbishop Francis Redwood SM.
Before becoming a Sister of Compassion, Lucy worked for some years in a Costume and Coat Manufacturing firm in Dixon Street, Wellington. Lucy entered the Home of Compassion on 15 April 1934, and in those days it would have been considered a ‘late’ vocation. On the Feast of St. Joseph, 19 March 1935, Lucy began her Novitiate, and received her Religious name Sister Mary Germaine. Archbishop O’Shea was the celebrant at her Reception. Her First Profession was on 19 March 1937.
Sister Germaine spent about two months at Buckle Street shortly after she was Professed, and on 24 June 1942, she was transferred to Auckland. She was on the train at the time of the earthquake that occurred during 1942. The earthquake, centred at Masterton, registered 7.2 and was felt from Auckland to Dunedin. The main shock lasted about a minute, and aftershocks continued through the night; over 200 were felt before 7am. While in Auckland Sister Germaine became ill, and returned to Island Bay for treatment. Her health improved enabling her to return to Auckland. However, in May 1955, due to her having had a heart attack, Sister Germaine returned to the Mother House where she remained for the rest of her life.
While she was on active duty, Sister spent long periods alternating between looking after the under twos in our Nursery during the day and on Night Duty. While on night duty, she was responsible for all the babies in the Nursery, the children in the Boys and Girls Wards, as well as those with disabilities. She was certainly drawn towards the latter, and spent many hours with the disabled boys who were cared for in part of the Boys Ward.
Sister Germaine was a true Sister of Compassion and an exemplary Religious. She had great devotion to the Way of the Cross, and was very regular at all religious exercises while her health permitted. A life of suffering was her lot, but she went about her obscure life, quietly and unobtrusively while her health permitted her to do so. During December of 1974, she went to live permanently in the Infirmary. She seemed to receive many graces during her last few weeks and her peace of soul was remarked on by those who were in contact with her. Her condition gradually worsened and on Monday 24 March, 1975, she was admitted to the Hospital Section. Six days later on 30 March, Easter Sunday 1975, she died very peacefully. Her life was one of suffering borne with patience and resignation and without complaint or a murmur against God’s holy will. Father O’Hagan mentioned in his sermon at Sister’s Requiem Mass that her life was hidden with Christ in God. A view expressed by all the Sisters.
Born Entered Professed Died Place of Death Place of Burial
09.11.1905 15.04.1934 19.03.1937 30.03.1975 Island Bay Karori Cemetery