On the 25 September, 1892, Sister Agnes made her first profession of Vows, with the earlier Sisters who had been members of the Third Order of Mary, but who now also took their vows as members of the Congregation of the Daughters of our Lady of Compassion.
On the 23 August, 1896, sister was appointed Second Assistant in the little Congregation, and re-elected as Third Assistant in 1902.
In January 1899 Sister Agnes was one of the foundation members of the Buckle Street House, and in 1910 she went to Auckland with the first Sisters to found the St Vincent’s Home of Compassion at Hobson Street. In November, 1912 sister attended the Extraordinary General Chapter called by the Vicar General, Rev. Thomas O’Shea. At this Chapter Sister Agnes was elected Fourth Assistant, residing at St Joseph’s Home for Incurables in Buckle Street.
After Mother Aubert’s return from Rome, Sister Agnes attended the 1920 General Chapter, and was elected Third Assistant. She then came to reside at Island Bay. After six years sister returned once more to Buckle Street where she stayed until 1936. By this time her health was failing and she continued to live mainly in the Infirmary.
In 1952 Sister Agnes celebrated her diamond Jubilee (sixty years in Religious Life) but she still was able to help where she could, mostly darning socks and stockings, and always patient and serene.
Sister attended daily Mass until she was completely invalided. Her piety, spirit of prayer and devotion to the Mass were remarkable. Her life appeared to be, literally, a life of prayer. Sister Agnes died very peacefully at 5 am. 22 October, 1957, the Community having been called. May she rest in peace. Sister Agnes was the first Sister to be buried in the new plot at Karori.
Born Entered Professed Died Place of Death Place of Burial
25.02.1869 April, 1890 25.09.1892 22.10.1957 Island Bay Karori