Follow the footsteps of Suzanne Aubert—her early life and influences in France, the long sea voyage to New Zealand, the places she lived and the difference she made through her extraordinary work and her steadfast commitment to her mission.
Learn about Suzanne’s ongoing legacy through the work of the Sisters of Compassion as they live the vision today.
See unique artefacts, and audio and visual recordings, which bring the story to life.
While you are here, take time to experience more of this special place. Visit Suzanne Aubert’s Grave, the Chapel of Our Lady of Compassion, Our Lady of Lourdes’ Grotto and the extensive gardens.
Planning your Visit:
- The Heritage Centre is open 10am-3pm Tuesday to Sunday. Please phone for opening hours on public holidays: (04) 383 7769.
- There is no charge to visit the Heritage Centre, Chapel, Resting Place and Grounds. A koha toward the mahi of the Sisters is appreciated.
- Barista-made coffee and simple home-made fare are available in the Cloister Café.
- Our Lady’s Home of Compassion is a 10 minute drive from the CBD and the airport. The no. 1 Island Bay bus is a 5 minute walk away.
- We have ample car parking onsite.
- Our facilities are accessible for visitors with mobility needs. Please contacts us for specific requirements.
- We welcome visits from groups and schools. Tours and programmes can be tailored for your group. Contact the Visitor Experience Manager to book a visit.
“What an inspirational woman challenging us with her faith, love and generosity. Great exhibition.” P Robinson, Australia
“Amazing – a privilege to visit.” P Meskill, Christchurch
“A wonderful, beautiful tribute to an amazing woman.” A & B Jamieson, Christchurch